Translate

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Big Boys should Cry!

As a young child I was taught just like many other children not to cry, "to be a big boy" about that scrape, cut, people teasing you etc.
Tears, crying nowadays especially in men's perspective is seen as a sign of weakness.
Do you remember your dad, brothers, parents or even the media ever say: real men don't cry!?
We men are taught in our society that we are not meant to cry, we are meant to be strong, independent and emotionless almost like robots, it's an illusion and it's a lie.

I just had a very tough week behind me, I'm burdened with pain......have had a hard time forgiving myself, feeling that I've not been the father to my children prior to the fire, the husband I once was to Noelle, jobless and made it publicly known that I haven't been employed since November 5th.
I've been extremely tearful lately missing my sons, looking at our circumstances, but still knowing that there is favor.

As an artist/musician/social worker/activities director etc. I always have been an emotional person, able to catch or create an atmosphere were emotion was necessary but I never was the one that cried a lot. I was always attracted to the rough Wyoming life style because I always thought it would toughen me up a little more. But still until this day, people may know that I cry when I tap the head of a fish or field dress the liveless animal that I shot minutes before.
I for instance did cry out my eye balls when I saw the 1st Ice age cartoon in 2002-2003 when at the end Manny the Mammoth after a long walk full of dangerous adventures gives the human baby back to his father, I was very touched by how they captured the love of this father to his son in a cartoon ending with a song of Rusted Root "send me on my way"......my friends looked at me like it was unreal, they saw this big guy crying over such a "silly" thing.

Noelle loves to go to the thrift shop and Lander has some great ones, about a month before the fire, she found a Bible, I was super stoked since I was not a big fan carrying around that huge black, hardcover, heavy book around to work and other places, no this was a good size (great letter type size) thin and leather cover bible but not until after 2 weeks before the accident I noticed the whole book of Job was missing (maybe that's why it was so light weight and thin)......But was this a sign?

In Job 16:19
We read in the book of Job that he cried and cried about all the misery that happened in his life
Job was afraid that God had abandoned him, yet he appealed directly to God (his Witness and Advocate) and to God's knowledge of his innocence. A witness is someone who has seen what has happened, and an advocate is like a lawyer who speaks on behalf of the plaintiff.
By using these terms, Job showed he had cast all his hope for any fair defense upon God in Heaven because he probably die before it happened on earth. (this is how I feel very connected with Job and his story). In the New Testament we learn that Jesus Christ Himself intercedes on our behalf :(Hebrews 7:25  and John 2:1).
Therefore we have nothing to fear........

Crying is a helpful part of our recovery process, tears are healing gifts from our God washing away our pain, clearing our souls.

Tears were unable to develop when both Noelle and I were standing & screaming while our log home on Lyons Valley was on fire the evening of July 15th 2014, both of us didn't feel our own 3rd and 2nd degree burns, but we cried out as loud as we could the names of our boys.....Zephy!......Noah!....
It was so hot that tears could not develop, we kept on screaming and calling their names.
I looked aside of me and saw one of the dog blankets asking if anyone standing aside (2 men) had water or a fire extinguisher to drench the blanket so I could run inside and save my 2 precious boys.
Noelle attempted several times to go inside, only seeing black smoke and at one attempt able to save one of our Pomeranians, then she ran back and it seemed like there was a wall of fire (which wasn't visible but surely felt) keeping her away from the open side door.
Before I didn't get any answer (about the blanket) I was ready to enter the house.......then I heard an order:, Don't go inside, you won't make it! They are already gone!'
Noelle and I looked each other in the eyes and knew it was time accept that we did everything in our own power to save Zephy and Noah.
We were directed to the Sheriff's Deputy that was able to produce tears and who we have known since we moved to Wyoming, he seemed to produce our tears when I told him that Zephy and Noah were still in the house. The house was completely in flames within 2-4 minutes.
The ambulance arrived, fire trucks arrived , sirens were going, there was chaos and panic at least in my mind, still thinking I was having a bad dream and this was not real, it was just a nightmare.
Noelle and I got separated due to our differences in burns, I had Remmy wrapped in blankets and sat on the stretcher in the ambulance looking through this tiny window seeing and hearing the tin roof separating from the log home itself....I will never forget that loud sound.
The ambulance was taking us to the hospital and still in my mind thinking it was a bad dream.
In the E.R. I got asked a million of questions, the nurses, chaplain, sheriff deputies etc.
Again I got separated but this time they took Remmy away from me......it was a very hard sight to give my son who was in a tremendous pain and screaming to the nurses.
The blinds of the E.R. room were still open when they put me in the outer room/area, I'm seeing dear friends in shock in prayer in the waiting room and stretched my hand out to the window letting them know I'm aware and appreciate their presence.
Immediately the nurses closed the blinds and again more questions got asked, I probably didn't rationally answer them all envisioning my house on fire, my sons in the house, and smelling the smell of the burned clothing that I was wearing, still thinking it was a bad nightmare.
I see my Pastor walking up to me, felt relieve and can't remember much of what I shared with him, but saw tears in my Pastors eyes.
Suddenly I was given paperwork I had to sign and after signing, got undressed, was put on a stretcher and saw my friend the Sheriff's Deputy, he asked me what he could do, I remembered that he had a co-worker whose wife is Dutch, if he could ask her if she could call my mother and let her know what was going on, since my mother doesn't speak any English.
I was told Remmy and I were going to be life flighted due to our severity of burns but also the fear that I singed airways or lungs.
I wanted to see Noelle, Beanie and Able before I go, I asked them friendly, I saw Able drawing, Beanie clinging a lady we didn't know (but now we see as a dear friend), Noelle was taken care of by nurses and still in shock.
Then, I was put on a stretcher, bright light aimed at my face, next thing I woke up in SLC in the Burn Unit and felt a catheter was put in.
I turned slowly and saw one of our elders (who became a good friend) on the couch next to my bed.
The first thing I wanted to do when I was capable to speak, think and had enough strength to move see Remmy, It finally came to me that I wasn't dreaming but my worst nightmare had become reality.
When the nurses were able to move me into a wheelchair I went to Remmy's Room in the same Unit, there he was, my 10 month old son laying in a small hospital bed (crib), wrapped in oozing bandages, swollen, intubated (where a machine does the breathing for you) almost life-less, beeping monitors, I.V.'s, but luckily there was also someone singing to him and holding his hand (the elder's wife).
Everything came to the realization  that I needed to cry, I cried so hard, I think I even had to throw up, since so much emotion became one finally one expression of pain.
Everyone in our room cried, my friends (the elders) but also the nursing staff cried along with us.

Doesn't it say in the Psalms somewhere that God preserves every tear, none of our sufferings is in vain????







7 comments:

  1. It took me awhile to read that through the tears. But as I was reading I was thinking about my husband. He cries. When I met him he was in a very bad place. There is something about being broken that strips all our pride away and leaves us raw, open and ready to accept that he only way we can make it is by trusting God. I prayed for your family before I knew you and have been blessed to meet you. I have hope that this blog will help you and others as well. Thank you for your transparency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shawna, It took me quite a while to write it through my tears, I met your husband while you guys were moving out and he's quite an inspiration, had great stories to tell and kept on telling these amazing stories. I'm glad we finally met too, cause I was wondering who is this Shawna he talks about. Thank you for your encouragement and prayers.

      Delete
  2. Love you Feike ... I know your week has been rough but I want you to know that you bring smiles to my face all the time... Thank you for being you and becoming family years ago :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg, this week has been a rough and a good one, next week is going to be rougher and better, thank you for coming with Shan from a far helping out when help was quite needed, thank you for being you and accepting me in your family, since I can be quite a Goof.

      Delete
  3. Feike, so many tears have been shed for your family. I remember hearing the news that night and feeling completely and totally heart sick-- and still feeling that way now, many months later. I still cry for your family and often wake up thinking about all in the morning and trying to wrap my head around this type of loss. Thank you for your bravery in sharing your words, your honesty, your candidness and for your ability to find a smile in the face of unimaginable pain. I will never have the right words to say, when I see you at school pick-up or around town, but please know that despite that, I carry your family in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. I think that there is great strength in the ability to feel sadness, compassion and empathy in a very powerful way-- and show it in our tears. i am a "crier", as is one of my kiddos, and i am grateful for being able to relate to loss (mine or others) in such a deep way. i think it helps make us more caring, giving human beings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Blair, you are an amazing encourager......

      Delete